Services for Hire
You can pay Scott to do things!
Willing to work anywhere under the most unusual circumstances, if need be.
Located in Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Valid U.S. Passport
Please e-mail for contact information.
I develop high-performance data processing applications, working in C, C++, C#, F#, Fortran, and other languages. The software I create emphasizes portability, efficiency, and designing-before-coding. I'll work on open source or proprietary software per the needs of a project; my goal is to create reliable solutions that fit the needs of my customers.
What sort of work do I do?
- Software invention
Building high performance software in C, C++, Fortran 95, Python, and Java, for Linux, Windows, and Unix. My expertise is in high-performance numerical applications, information analysis, and database engines.
Tuning and refining code for top performance in different environments, ranging from workstations to parallel systems.
Exploiting the potential of today's multiprocessor workstations and servers. I can bring the power of multicore processors, NUMA architecture, and clusters to your server applications.
- 64-bit Testing & Conversions
Conversion and reliability checking, ensuring that your code is portable to 64-bit architectures.
- Legacy System Modernization or Replacement
Updating existing programs and systems for today's high-performance environments and operating systems. A specialty is wrapping legacy code in Java or C++ user interfaces to put a new face on an old workhorse.
Specific areas of development include:
- High-performance business computing
- Scientific and engineering software
- Small database engines for concise applications
- Training in C++, software design, and multiprocessing architectures
I specialize in creating engines: the software that performs the "heavy lifting" behind the scenes. My focus ison custom software development for Linux, Windows, and general Unix. In-house platforms include workstations, web servers, and multiprocessor systems, running the latest Linux and recent Windows software.
My primary tools of choice include:
- C++, C, C#, F#, OCaml, Python, Java, modern Fortran
- Linux (since before it was trendy), Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- TWAIN, gtk, PNG, TIFF, and other graphic formats
- Beowulf, Linux SMP, OpenMP, MPI, POSIX/Linux, Win32 threads & processes
- autoconf/automake, MS Visual Studio(.Net), gcc, Intel C++ & Fortran, Eclipse, Cygwin
I prefer to negotiate a series of flat fees based on a defined set of milestones — however, I am very flexible and open to suggests and possibilities. My hourly rate is $75 / €60 / £50 for spot work, with a discount for substantial projects or blocks of my time.